A place for help, advice, and ideas

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bridal Beauty

There has never been a time in my life where I craved perfect skin, white teeth, and shiny hair more than I did in the months before my wedding. I figured I'd be looking back at these pictures for many many years and my perfectionist ways would be pretty angry if there was a big red pimple in the middle of my face. I want to teach you a few things I learned,

1. Don't freak if you do have a pimple, makeup artists and photographers work wonders.

2. Don't go crazy (read below for the craziest thing I did while wedding planning)

3. Preparation is KEY!

Let's break down this preparation:

Skin, the answer to many of my problems was a visit to the dermatologist. I was one of those lucky teenagers that never really had a pimple. Unfortunately, my luck ran out I had lovely little spots on my face the second I turned 25. I visited the dermatologist about 8 months before my wedding.
I Retin-A prescription cleared everything up pretty nicely.

Craziest wedding related moment: A few months before my wedding my dermatologist recommended a strong chemical peel. I have to say this was the most insane thing I did before my wedding. It made a huge difference, but I looked scary for a week. I would sort of recommend this, but with a warning. Plan do NOTHING publicly for a week. While I did attend class and go out, I was a scary, scary sight. I would certainly only advise doing this months before your wedding.

Think this:









but I'd be lying if I didn't say my face looked worse


There are CERTAINLY other ways to get great skin results and I recommend a few products whole heartedly, but I've learned that everyones skin is different and what works for me may not work for you. I swear by an insane amount of water (probably my only really healthy addition) and good facials. I try to eat a decent amount for fruit and drink coupious amounts of green tea which I think helped. Some other products I loved (I am a product junkie, It's a real problem.)


Skinceuticals Clarifying Cleanser , Clarisonic Hydrating Cleanser, Clarisonic, Obaji Clenziderm Treatment (My dermatologist recommended this line, but I really only liked and used the number 2 bottle), Skinceuticals C+AHA treatment (this was expensive, but lasted me over a year since you use such a tiny amount), & Dr. Gross Skincare Alpha Peels

Hair, Regular cuts and color upkeep. I had a clear glaze right before my shower and the week of my wedding. I used whatever shampoo and conditioner was on sale and then used Phyto nourushing shampoo once a week.

Teeth, Obviously visit your dentist. I was lucky enough to get whitening trays and bleach for free before my wedding and I had really great results, but I've also used Crest Advanced Whitening Strips and had pretty similar results.

I've always been slightly obsessed with beauty products and what not, but the wedding plans only escalated my obsession. I can't say I regret a minute of it because I really felt great at my wedding. However, this obsession was not cheap and slightly crazy. Who said we were always sane?


Have a beauty question? Don't hesitate to ask

1 comment:

  1. Love these tip. I"ll likely steer clear of the chemical peel, but everything else - count me in! {Kim @BrideGoggles)

    ReplyDelete