Sometimes the decision is a budgetary one and then it's easy you do what fits in your budget. Other times it's a space issue, having a wedding in a small space? A large band won't fit, easy choice.
However, there are times when the decision is a little more complex. Let's break it down with a good old pro con list (have I mentioned my love for pro con lists, serious love)
- Better sound
- Live concert like feeling
- Let's be honest, it looks impressive
- Can play very different music i.e. cultural music
- Club party like feeling
- Can change types a of music very quickly if the party isn't picking up (However, good bands should be able to do this too)
- Fits into a smaller space not as much equipment
- Takes up more space
- Must ensure that they are talented and their repertoire involves different types of music
- Must combat the club like feel if it's not your thing
- Must ensure that the DJ is very perceptive and can change music when needed
Overall, the decision is a personal one. I chose a band for various reasons including a large venue, formal wedding, and comfort.
What did you choose? Band, DJ, Ipod play list?